Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are experienced as developmental difficulties in social interaction and communication, with behavioural and sensory sensitivities. The word "Spectrum" is used, because every child with Autism is different, and there is an infinite range of ways in which Autism is experienced. This makes it a very challenging health condition for children, families, health professionals and educators alike, so it is imperative that everyone works together in a collaborative partnership if the best outcomes for children living with Autism are to be achieved.
There are many web-based resources available to families and health professionals, and we offer just a few below.
Autism-related organisations and resources
- Through My Eyes - a beautiful song that aims to help people understand more about life with Autism
- Autism Spectrum Australia (ASPECT)
- FREE Visual Resources
- Vietnamese-Australian Disability Support Network - Sydney, Australia (see Autism group)
- Monash University Autism Fact Sheets
- The Autism Research Centre
- First signs - written for parents
- Autism speaks - it's time to listen - video glossary of ASD characteristics
- Childbrain.com - the Pediatric neurology site - online questionnaire to score your child for possible ASD
- Raising children network - the Australian parenting web-site - Australian resources
- Information from the Australian Government - Australian government initiative
- Positive Partnerships - Autism Training - free training modules available!
- AutismPRO Australia - support services online
- Tinsnips Autism - useful special education resources
- The Autism File - a quarterly magazine on autism (by families, doctors, consultants, teachers, others)
- Diary of a Mom - words of encouragement for new families
- Jacob's Lessons - free ABA and general cognitive skill exercises for young children on the spectrum
- Visual Strategies Information - US site with information on using visual aids
- Early Days - Australian early intervention support for families with a recent diagnosis of autism
- Google Sketch-Up - Project Spectrum - Strengths of autism shine through in 3D
20 – 22 August 2009Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre www.apac09.org.au