The challenges facing HIV+ mothers and children
Whilst CLAN has not specifically worked in the field of HIV/AIDS, we acknowledge the challenges facing children who are affected by HIV/AIDS in low-middle income settings.
Learning more is a good starting point!
Knowledge is power, so it's good to learn all we can. At the recent UNDPI/NGO Conference "Towards Global Health: Achieve the MDGs", Sister Mary Owens, a member of Nyumbani in Kenya gave an inspiring talk on their work with children who have been orphaned by the HIV epidemic. Many of the children are HIV+ themselves, so Nyumbani has become a centre of excellence in HIV management as well as providing a home and family for the children. Access to appropriate medication is a major challenge in their efforts to help the children - most particularly for children who develop resistance to particular antiviral medications. No doubt similar challenges exist in all African countries (see HIV/AIDS in Uganda), and we are reminded yet again of the unique burdens facing children who are living with chronic health conditions in low-income settings, and the need for specific action to support them so that they might realize their basic rights to health and life.
World AIDS Day is December 1 each year... An opportunity annually to pause and reflect on the plight of children living with HIV/AIDS in resource-poor settings. What can we all do to help?
Photos from Papua New Guinea - a child's experience living with HIV in PNG.
- INVISIBLE: Children Living With HIV/AIDS - on You Tube
Other useful sites:
- UNICEF - HIV/AIDS and children
- AVERT - International HIV & AIDS Charity - HIV, AIDS and Children
- AVERT (Uganda)
- WHO - Paediatric HIV and treatment of children living with HIV
- Sydney Children's Hospital's Paediatric HIV Services
- Positive Pregnancy Booklet - information for HIV+ women on pregnancy
- Women, Children and HIV - resources for prevention and treatment (University of California)
- Kids Health - HIV and AIDS
- Annie Lennox SING - A voice for HIV/AIDS women and children
- The Global Fund - To Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria
- UNAIDS - Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- PEPFAR - The United States President's Emerge ncy Plan for AIDS Relief
- (RED) - Designed to help eliminate AIDS in Africa
- TASO (The AIDS Support Organisation - an indigenous HIV/AIDS service organisation in Uganda founded in 1987
- UNASO - Ugandan Network of AIDS Service Organisations
- AIDS Alliance - Supporting Community Action on AIDS in developing countries (Uganda page)
- Children of Uganda - supporting children orphaned by AIDS